facebook Share on Facebook Does the church of God still have apostles today? Are all claimants to apostleship today frauds and imposters ripping off a gullible Christian public? If genuine apostles exist what can we expect them to be like?

Let's start by finding out how the Biblical apostles were chosen.

Luke 6:12-13
 12 In those days, Jesus went out to the mountain to pray, and He spent the night in prayer to God. 13When daylight came, He called His disciples to Him and chose twelve of them, whom He also named as apostles

Luke 22:29
 28 You are the ones who have stood by Me in My trials. 29And I bestow on you a kingdom, just as My Father has bestowed on Me, 30so that you may eat and drink at My table in My kingdom, and sit on thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.…

Israel has twelve tribes so we see Jesus appointing 12 apostles meaning each tribe was represented. But the 13th tribe which is non-Jew, the Gentiles had no apostle then because it hadn't been redeemed, Jesus' time had not arrived. After Jesus was crucified and had risen Paul was converted and appointed the apostle to the Gentiles.

Galatians 2:7
 7 On the contrary, they saw that I had been entrusted to preach the gospel to the Gentiles, just as Peter had been to the Jews. 8For God, who was at work in Peter’s apostleship to the Jews, was also at work in my apostleship to the Gentiles.

1 Timothy 2:7
For this reason I was appointed as a herald, an apostle, and a faithful and true teacher of the Gentiles. I am telling the truth; I am not lying

1 Corinthians 9:1
 1 Am I not free? Am I not an apostle? Have I not seen Jesus our Lord? Are you yourselves not my workmanship in the Lord?

So tell me, those who claim to be apostles nowdays, whose apostles are they? Paul has the answer;

2 Cor 11:12-13
 12 But I will keep on doing what I am doing, in order to undercut those who want an opportunity to be regarded as our equals in the things they boast about. 13 For such men are false apostles, deceitful workers, masquerading as apostles of Christ.
 14 And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light.…

The New Testament teaches that the apostles of Christ were persons to whom Christ appeared after His resurrection and whom He commissioned to be His personal spokesmen (Acts 1:21-26; 5:32; 1 Cor. 9:1; 15:8). Ephesians 2:20 and 3:5 teach that the apostles and prophets had foundational offices through which Christ established the church as the newly constituted people of God, a church in which both Jews and Gentiles make up the singular body of Christ. Clearly many men today who claim to be apostles have taken upon themselves authority over other people which has not been given to them by God. Additionally, they are making prophetic utterances which they falsely claim to be divinely inspired.

PROPHETS
We hear of modern day prophets prophesying about things to come that are outside the Word of God. It is easy to tell that many of these modern day prophets are wolves in sheep’s clothing, but what about those who don’t appear to be exploiting for financial gain? Are there modern day prophets of God? What does Scripture say about prophets and what is the true test to validate if the modern day prophets are who they claim to be?

Prophets were foundational to the church. The Bible tells us the church was “built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus Himself being the cornerstone” (Ephesians 2:20). The prophet proclaimed a message from the Lord to the early believers and their message varied from person to person. Sometimes, a prophet’s message was revelatory, bringing new revelation and truth from God. Other times, the prophet’s message was predictive.

There are many people who claim to be modern day prophets. Some might spell them “profits” because they are motivated by money and make sensational claims, like promising financial blessing for anyone that sends in their “seeds of faith.”

Here's what Jeremiah said about these prophets;

Jeremiah 23:15-17
 15 Therefore thus says the LORD of hosts concerning the prophets, 'Behold, I am going to feed them wormwood And make them drink poisonous water, For from the prophets of Jerusalem Pollution has gone forth into all the land.'
 16 Thus says the LORD of hosts, "Do not listen to the words of the prophets who are prophesying to you. They are leading you into futility; They speak a vision of their own imagination, Not from the mouth of the LORD.
 17 They keep saying to those who despise Me, 'The LORD has said, "You will have peace "'; And as for everyone who walks in the stubbornness of his own heart, They say, 'Calamity will not come upon you.'…

Oh Lord Come.

You are here: Home Discussions MUST READ: Are there apostles and prophets in the church today?